Tribe of the Ring Fort

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Crayons for sale

Again, the events portrayed in this entry took place in, and were written about, in Listowel, Kerry, Ireland, in early 2006. I was unemployed in a new country and freaking a bit at the time. (note: that is only a partial alibi for the last sentence below.)

Susannah [@ 5.65 y.o. at the time] has started this thing where she puts a bunch of her crayons in a clear stiff-plastic bag with a pink fur fringe, and walks around the empty Not Us neighborhood crying out “Crayons for sale! Ten cents!” She comes to me to ask permission, I grant it, and off she goes into the grey.
This triggers a multiple emotional experience.
• A wave of pride and admiration that she thinks this up and executes it rather than complaining to me that she has no one to play with.
• A wave of anger that she has no one to play with.
• A wave of self-recrimination that I’ve taken her from a near-ideal (so it was to me) neighborhood in Montpelier Vermont USA packed with her peers, and put her here.
The visceral feeling these all lump into is a bit of nausea and a pain in my heart. I cry a little.

2 Comments:

At 09 November, 2013 23:52, Blogger Lauren said...

I understand that pain. Although I'm in a vastly different situation ( American teacher in Durango, Mexico...) my son cries at times, to go back "home". He has his moments, but children are resilient (so I hear?).

 
At 07 February, 2018 23:38, Blogger Barry McPhee said...

Thank you Lauren. Yes, they are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home